History 1801-1850

Wilkes Cemetery

April 12, 1804

  • One of George Washington’s Bibles presented to Christ Church by George Washington Parke Custis

1808

  • Vestry installs wood stoves

1806–1809

  • The Rev. William Lewis Gibson, Rector

May 1, 1809

  • Christ Church Wilkes Street Cemetery established

1809

  • Gibson and about half of Christ Church congregation depart and establish St. Paul’s Episcopal in Alexandria

1810–1811

  • The Rev. Francis Barclay, Rector 

1811–1813

  • The Rev. William Meade, Rector

1811

  • Robert E. Lee’s nuclear family moved permanently to Alexandria

1813–1825

  • The Rev. Oliver Norris, Rector

1814

  • Church at Alexandria consecrated as Christ Church
  • Christ Church glebe (church land) case heard by U.S. Supreme Court

1815

  • U.S. Supreme Court ruled in Christ Church favor and glebe sold
  • First organ, made by Jacob Hilbus, stood on west gallery, and now in Smithsonian

1818

  • Tower completed and bell hung
  • Cut-glass chandelier, under rear gallery, ordered from England and installed
  • Baptismal font purchased from James Crowdhill

1818–1819

  • First Christ Church Sunday School established

1821

  • Rectory acquired at 407 N. Washington St. as partial payment for glebe

1822

  • First parish hall constructed

1823

  • Virginia Theological Seminary founded in Alexandria

February 20, 1824

  • Christ Church land dispute decided by U.S. Supreme Court

1826–1828

  • The Rev. Reuel Keith, Rector

1828–1829

  • The Rev. George Griswold, Rector 

1829–1830

  • The Rev. John P. McGuire, Rector

1830–1834

  • The Rev. Charles Mann, Rector

1840

  • Second organ installed

1834–1860

  • The Rev. Charles B. Dana, Rector 

 

 

login